Friday, August 25, 2006

Honus & Me by Dan Gutman


As a huge baseball fan, I couldn't pass up the Baseball Card Adventure series when I came upon it at the bookstore last week. It's the story of Joe Stoshack, a boy who loves baseball but isn't very good at playing it. While cleaning out a neighbor's attic, he finds a baseball card - a T-206 Honus Wagner, the most valuable baseball card in the world. But Joe soon find the card is special for more than it's monetary value; he can use the card to travel through time. After Honus Wagner shows up in Joe's bedroom, Joe travels back in time with Honus where he gets to watch the 1909 World Series and get some tips from the man many feel was the greatest ball player of all time.
This is a great book for young boys who are sports fans; I have a cousin who would probably love it. The writing isn't fabulous, but the story is so much fun I read it anyway, and I plan to read the others in the series. I can't wait to hear about Joe's adventures with Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Shoeless Joe and Satchel Page.

What I'm Reading: On the Head of a Pin by Mary Beth Miller
On My Bookshelf: Hazing Meri Sugarman; Blue Bloods; A Brief Chapter in the Impossible Life

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home