Thursday, March 02, 2006


Reading has been rather slow this week thanks to life happening, but I did want to quickly mention The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler. I discovered Mackler when her first book (Love and Other Four Letter Words) was published and loved her. Round Things is even better. I read it at soon as it came out and, after I returned it to the library, didn't see it on the shelf again for ages. Mackler's newest, Vegan Virgin Valentine, is great, too. (And it's already a couple of years old - we need a new one!)
Anyway, I reread Round Things this weekend for the YA lit class. It had been a few years, and it's a great book, so I felt it was worth the time. One of the things I remembered from the first reading was how MAD this book made me - and it did the same thing again! Virginia's parents are so casually cruel to her that it's infuriating - which of course makes it all the more satisfying when she comes into her own in such a gloriously purple way.
I'm not going to go into great detail about this one, but it's so great that I had to mention it. If you haven't read Mackler, especially this one, go out and get it now!

What I'm Reading: Our Secret, Siri Aang by Cristina Kessler
On my bookshelf: I'm going to read those comics. I really, really, really am! Got to finish some reading for class first, though.
Also: I'd like to reread Born Confused by Tenuja Desai Hidier for class, if I have time. Like Round Things, it's worth the time.
Upcoming reads for class: Orphea Proud by Sharon Dennis and The Body Eclectic by Patrice Vecchione

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home