Friday, February 10, 2006


" I began to play. How can I explain what happened next? It wasn't magic. It wasn't a hallucination. I didn't see anything or hear anyone speak or feel anyone else's hands on the sticks. All I know is, it wasn't me that played those drums on that November afternoon. It was Murph. There was simply no other explanation. I couldn't play like that - I didn't know how...I was possessed by the spirit of Liam Murphy."

Rewind by Jan Page is a fun time-travel story with a musical theme. Set in the "estates" or housing projects of Britain, it's the story of Liam Condie, a rather apathetic teen who's only interests are his band and his friends. The band isn't very good, until Liam discovers his parents were also in a band as teens, and Liam is inspired by the "ghost" of his dad's best friend, the drummer, who was killed in a car accident. Murph's death resulted in the break up of the band and the beginning of the downward spiral that has landed his dad on the dole and his mother stuck in a miserable marriage.
Covering one of his parents' songs, it seems like Liam's band, Salamander, might actually have a chance at winning a local battle of the bands. But an accident onstage hits the rewind button, giving Liam the chance to save Murph's life and change the course of his parents' lives - but what will it do to his own?
Reminiscent of Back to the Future, Rewind is pretty predictable, but the characters and details are good enough to keep you reading, even if you're sure how things are going to end up.

What I'm Reading: Peeps by Scott Westerfeld
On my Bookshelf: Avalon High and Ready or Not by Meg Cabot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home